Thursday, April 18, 2024

Hong Kong, I Love You, Too

Well, I think I do.

Hong Kong, which we somehow allowed to get turned over to the Chinese Communist Party some years ago, has become #1 in a fascinating statistic.

You're probably aware that this column, after four-plus years of a new submission every day, has been in a sort of "visiting column" status, where I write something new when the urge strikes but don't feel a specific obligation.

But there are well over 1,000 columns out there and I have no intention of taking them down.  A column on, say, July 14, 2016, reflects what I was thinking on July 14, 2016, and it would be rewriting history, which is why I don't go back and change the substance of anything out there in UberThoughtsland.  

So when I see a demographic shift in the readership -- and, thank you, there are still hundreds of reads of all different columns every day -- I have to ask why.

And that came about when I did a periodic check of the readership, only to discover that lately, on a given day, there are about a thousand reads from, of all places, Hong Kong (!).

So from the bottom of my heart, thank you, I think.  Given that Hong Kong is now governed by the CCP, I have no idea whether it is the ordinary, freedom-loving Hong Kong residents, or officials of the Party in charge, who are reading my columns.

There seems to be no real logic to which ones are being read; they don't cover any consistent topic but seem more from a particular era, as if the reader picked a month and started reading.  Neither approach is an indicator to me as to whether I should be flattered or frightened.

So this is a polite inquiry -- if you are in Hong Kong and enjoying these columns, please reach out to me and let me know how you found the column and whether you'd like some more frequent pieces (or less frequent).  I am actually quite interested.

Thank you!  I look forward to hearing from you. And by the way, I looked it up -- here is the actual column from July 14, 2016.  Enjoy: 

Copyright 2024 by Robert Sutton Like what you read here? There are over 1,000 posts from Bob at www.uberthoughtsUSA.com and, after four years of writing a new one daily, he still posts thoughts once in a while as "visiting columns", no longer the "prolific essayist" he was through 2018, but still around. Appearance, advertising, sponsorship and interview inquiries cheerfully welcomed at bsutton@alum.mit.edu or on Twitter at @rmosutton

1 comment:

  1. Hey -- no sooner do I write a column thanking the Hong Kong readers, but magically a week later almost 10% of the readership is now from Red China. Very cool! I hope the CCP is reading the best columns; they have well over 1,000 to choose from.

    ReplyDelete