Monday, December 15, 2014

NOW, NARAL and Whether Black Lives Matter

Your friends and mine at the National Organization for Women posted their own version of the "Black Lives Matter" story, "mourning the loss" of Michael Brown (the convenience store robber and assailant), Trayvon Martin (the apparent gay-basher) and others.  As they are explicitly standing up for "peaceful protesters in Ferguson", if anyone saw any of those among the looters, we may safely assume their agreement with the Black Lives Matter meme.

So which shall we believe?  I ask that because the number of killings of black lives annually is in excess of 600,000.  Of course those are just black children, specifically those who hadn't been born yet.

Now I've already shared my opinion on abortion, which is to say that, like most people, it is far down the list of important issues, at least in terms of passion.  I can't get too worked up about it, because it is such a divided moral issue that the USA can't even decide if it is right or wrong.  Half the country thinks it's murder, and the rest of it feels it is perfectly OK.  You can't legislate that.

But this isn't about abortion -- it's about hypocrisy, which I do have an opinion about (Hint: I'm against it).

If NOW and NARAL and that ilk actually feel a sense of solidarity with the protesters in Ferguson (at least the peaceful ones, of which I think there were seven at last count), then how do they really feel about black lives mattering?  Seriously -- how do you walk amongst the protesters with a "Black Lives Matter" sign on Monday, and then on Tuesday march in a pro-abortion rally?  How do you reconcile protesting the death of one not-very-innocent young black man with promoting the death of 600,000 extremely innocent black babies each year?

I have to confess; I don't get it at all, and I certainly encourage the next liberally inclined, very pro-abortion type to try, please, to explain how it is not blatant hypocrisy to hold those two quite contradictory values.

I won't apologize for my lack of enthusiasm for the abortion issue in general.  But I will at least claim to have morally consistent opinions on the value of life.  It matters, whether the living is black, white, Asian, Martian or whatever.

If it goes for color, it goes for age as well, NOW and forever.

Copyright 2016 by Robert Sutton 

No comments:

Post a Comment